10.28.2011

Modern Flatiron Scratchbuild - Complete

The best part of a scratch-build has to be the final steps when all the wiring, pieces, and (most of all) the wild guesses about how it will all work come together (or not!)!

So I here I present to you the (almost) complete "Canon" building (formerly known as the 'modern flatiron building')

Pictures say more than words.,,,most of the finish work involved adding pieces of trim around the back side windows and over the corners of the building.
I am really pleased with how this one turned out...if fits the strange shaped area I had and nicely integrates with both the modern Kato buildings and the other structures in downtown.  The only thing I might do is add some resistance or something to the entire structure as (you can probably tell) the LED's are quite bright!
The interiors, as I mentioned in the earlier parts of this project, are composed of some manufactured detail bits, as well as pieces of painted foam core and bits of styrene with some simple printed backgrounds on the walls.  The interior figures are all the very cheap Chinese made ones found on eBay.
With this project done, I have to start thinking about my next project.  I really enjoyed this technique and would encourage anyone to do the same.  Using the transparencies for the windows along with bits of styrene is really quite simple but gives a great effect.
That's all for today!  Thanks for reading and please feel free to leave a comment (and for you other bloggers out there, I'm always interested in other work as well, so please feel free to share your blog!).

10 comments:

  1. Jerry, your work is stunning. This is such a high quality, beautiful building. To think you knocked it out is such a short amount of time is even more stunning. I am in awe as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jerry ,

    Once again a very beautifull job, all by yourself !!!

    bravo

    Pascal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy (you know what)....utterly oustanding my friend, I connot refrain myself from sharing the link to this build and your site.

    Hope ya dont mind.
    Kriz

    http://kriz-kreativemindz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jerry,

    I'm following your blog and I'm really enjoying it, good job!

    And this new building is fantastic! Thanks for sharing its construction with us!

    You can also follow my new blog, also in N-scale, (rintiland.blogspot.com) :-)

    Best Regards,
    Jose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Your comments mean a ton! Thanks Jose & Kriz for sharing your work with me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerry I've been so busy but this is stunning and absolutely a masterpiece. Great work my friend.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bob! Thank you and good to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been an excellent series and the building turned out great. I've bookmarked all the installments. I plan to use them as reference when I attempt a massively compressed HO version of the Chicago highrise that plays the role of Bob Hartley's office in the opening sequence of the old Bob Newhart show. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more builds in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ JD - Thank you - and I'm glad you found this helpful! I like your 'newhart' building idea! That sounds like it will be fantastic! What a great idea! I'd love to see that building!

    ReplyDelete